Friday, January 25, 2013

Fruit of the Spirit

Day 3 in my continuing series of prayers for my marriage and husband based on series of prayer cards printable at the "Time Warp Wife" available at the little button on the right there...and a quick click on the "printables" tab on the site.

Galatians 5:22-23:  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance:  against such there is no law.

Dear Heavenly Father,

I know the love Chris and I have for each other is but a pale, pale, PALE shadow of the love Thou bearest for each of Thy children.  I am humbled, honored and grateful that Thou hast chosen Chris and me to be together and to start a family for a wise purpose in Thee.

On our wedding day, I did not think I could get any happier.  Chris had a bad fever and says he doesn't really remember most of it.  But he's still here, so I guess it wasn't all bad.  When our first son was born, we did not think we could put more love on our plates.  When our 2nd son was born, again we thought, surely the plates must be full now.  When our daughter was born (and we were finally able to bring her home from the hospital), through the massive ice storm, up the icy steps and safely into our apartment...once she was settled, I literally danced for joy (making sure every couple of minutes that our sweet sleeping little sister was actually breathing.  I guess the only thing that could help Chris know more love is to have a deeper bond with Thee.  Allow me to be his help meet in this area, so that he can experience the near-overwhelming, eternal Love from Thee more fully in his life as well.

I pray that Chris might also experience the other gifts of the Spirit in ever-increasing frequency.

May he know joy on a daily basis and may I do something each day to bring a smile to his face.

May he know peace in both his personal and public lives.  He likes to listen to music online.  Please direct him to uplifting, wholesome music that feeds his spirit and his soul.  Help me as well to find music to send to him that will please and uplift him.

Longsuffering comes to each of us at times.  I haven't always been able to be grateful to Thee for these soul-stretching episodes over the years, but looking back over my life so far, I have begun to scratch the surface of understanding the purpose of these times.  Hold him in Thy strong arms when the storms of life seek to buffet and destroy.  Strengthen my arms that I may help him through the rough times.

His life never has been "easy", which has sometimes built a hard shell around his heart and his person.  I know the kernel is good and the fire is lit.  Soften him that he may be gentle with the children and with those of differing opinions.  Soften me as necessary so that the joy that will come to Chris as the result of a gentle wife can please and instruct him.

Let his natural goodness shine through even more fully, and may he use his life experiences to help those less fortunate.

As my own spiritual practice (outward and inward) increases, may Chris see the benefits of having Thee in his life.

Meekness is not something usually considered as part of a man's spiritual armor, but I believe it is part of every person's toolbox.  Meekness is what allows us to bring our knowledge of Thee to people who don't know Thee and still honor each man or woman as Thy creation.  I pray that Thou wilt protect Chris with this shield and that he may pass the honor of having it in his life onto our sons.

Father, Though knowest this prayer is a lot longer than I had originally felt it might be.  I praise Thee that increased peace has entered my soul while thinking and typing.  It is a wonderful feeling.  Help us all to be a little kinder and more supportive of our sisters and brothers in this earthly pilgrimage.

Praying this today in the name of Thy Son, Jesus Christ.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment